For interactive maps to work on your school website, we require a Google Map API Key. This key allows website traffic to communicate with Google and display map content. Google uses this key to analyse the number of requests received and charge when requests are over a set amount each month.
More information regarding Google’s pricing for maps, routes and places can be found on the following link: https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/pricing/sheet/
- GOOGLE CLOUD PLATFORM CONSOLE
- GOOGLE CLOUD PLATFORM DASHBOARD
- ENABLE THE MAPS LIBRARY
- ACTIVATE FREE TRIAL BY CREATING A BILLING A CCOUNT
- If your school does not already have one, sign up for a Google account:
GOOGLE CLOUD PLATFORM CONSOLE
- Navigate to the Google Cloud Platform Console.
- Click the Create button from the Home tab.
- Type a project name, i.e. “School Website Google Map” and click Create.
GOOGLE CLOUD PLATFORM DASHBOARD
- Once your new project is created, a dashboard is populated with statistic and guidance cards. Cards can be removed or organised by clicking the cards vertical ellipses or dragging and dropping to reorder.
ENABLE THE MAPS LIBRARY
- Click the hamburger icon to display menu items. Hover over APIs & Services, in the pop-out
menu click Library.
- Click the Enable button. Functionality may take a few moments to activate:
- On the popup menu, click API key:
- You are presented with characters and numbers, this is your API key. Email this key to your Production Co-ordinator, who will forward on to your website developer.
- Click Restrict Key, to ensure this key is locked down to your school’s website:
- Within the API keys settings page, scroll down towards the Application restrictions
- Select HTTP referrers (web sites) radio button. A textbox will appear, type the schools name in the following format: *schoolwebsite.co.uk/*
“schoolwebsite.co.uk” should be your schools actual website address. Ensure that asterisks, full stops and forward slash appear as displayed in the above example.
- Once complete, press return on your keyboard. Do the same for *devwebsite.co.uk/*
- If your school has multiple domains, you should complete this process for all domains and Save.
ACTIVATE FREE TRIAL BY CREATING A BILLING A CCOUNT
- Click the hamburger icon to display menu items. Click Billing, followed by Create billing
- Complete the form and submit payment details. Once complete, click Start My Free Trial.
Google provide $200 free monthly usage for Maps, Routes and Places every month.
- Google ’s pricing page states that for most users, $200 monthly credit is enough to support their needs.
For more information on Google Cloud Billing, see Google’s billing YouTube video.